Press the play button to view video - require flash plugin.
The present monastery was built around 1,500 A.D. but inside the church theire is a cave which suggests it may have been used as a place of worship during a much earlier period.
It started originally as a women's convent but in 1668 was changed to a men's monastery.
From 758 onwards organised monastic life was disrupted and monks lived there only on an occasional basis.
The monastery is now the symbol of Ayia Napa.